Due to the growing popularity of in-home care for seniors, it’s important to make sure you and your loved one are aware of the potential dangers present in the home for seniors living alone and prepare accordingly. You can help prevent falls and accidents by making changes to unsafe areas in the home with these tips.
The following home safety tips can help keep you and your loved ones safe:
Safety precautions regarding electricity:
- Use safety caps on unused outlets.
- Keep electrical appliances away from bathtub or shower
- Avoid overloading electrical circuits.
- Check the condition of electrical appliances, cords and plugs regularly.
Safety precautions regarding lighting:
- Use good lighting for hallways and stairways.
- Use adequate lighting for reading.
- Use night lights.
Safety precautions regarding bathroom safety:
- Adjust water heater to less than 120 degrees.
- Use non skid mats in shower or tub.
- Place grab bars in shower or tub
Safety precautions regarding kitchen safety:
- Avoid long, loose sleeves when cooking.
- Store items in easy-to-reach cupboards.
- Keep handles away from edge of stove.
- Keep knives in a safe place.
Safety precautions regarding food:
- Avoid any uncooked fish or shellfish
- Buy only pasteurized dairy products.
- Never us an egg that has unpleasant odors or cracked shells.
- Wash any equipment thoroughly that has come in contact with raw meat or poultry
- Avoid containers that have broken seals,
- Check expiration dates
- Wash food thoroughly before eating.
- Don’t eat food that has changed color, odor, etc
- Don’t eat while walking.
Safety precautions for fire safety:
- Measure to perform in case of fire emergency:
- Use stairs, not elevators.
- Keep low to the floor if smoke is in tf building.
- Feel a door before opening it.
- Call 911
Safety precautions for exiting in case of a fire:
- Have alternate exits available.
- Install ramps for wheelchair-bound patients.
- Avoid obstructions to outside doorways.
Safety precautions to protect home from fires:
- Store flammable substances in a well-ventilated area.
- Turn off appliances before leaving the home, i.e., iron, oven, curling iron, etc
- Use precautions with wood burning stoves.
- Do not overload circuits.
- Use ceramic or glass ashtrays.
- Put doors and screens on fireplaces.
- Use candles with caution.
- Install a smoke detector on each floor and check batteries.
- Have chimneys cleaned and inspected yearly
- Avoid smoking in bed or when sleep